Thursday, January 17, 2008

Turn Off The Switch

Is it just me or has the amount of people calling themselves "artists" or even "artiste" has practically doubled or maybe tripled ever since I left?? It's funny how people are generally more interested in the glamorous world nowadays, everybody is a singer/actor... I came across this guy who went on to introduce himself as "I'm Ali, I'm a librarian by profession, a poet at mind, a musician by numbers and a guitarist at heart".. hurrmmm... okaaaaayyy.. rightttt.. awkward... crabs passing by...

Well, I don't intend to put people down but what drives me crazy is that the quantity does not come with quality. Arts is a channel of expression but don't try tooooo hard to express yourself because it can be daunting on the others. Select a forte and be really good in it before you venture into other areas because unless you're Jit Murad or Zahim Al-Bakri, you rarely have the ability to do everything and even these people I've mentioned don't do everything. I reluctantly tune in to some of the Malaysian series on the free tv (since Mummy doesn't believe in Astro) and each time, I feel nauseated by the extent to which everything is overdone from their hair, make up to their acting skills (is it even skills that they're showing?)

Some of the people in the mainstream media do not even do well what they are professed to do. I hate to quote names but one of the people who really can't act but appears on tv regularly has got to be this "actress" who acts in Jelatang, Puteri and featured in Jangan Pandang Belakang. Probably she is pretty but I certainly doubt that she has the talent. If we continue giving oppotunities to those who don't deserve it rightfully, this so-called industry will fail to progress further as it should.

Looks like I'll just have to stick to stuff at KLPac and continue to stay insane through attending underground music events or watching independent movies so that I can judge what's better for me rather than just bitching about how mainstream is not my favourite stream. Because sometimes, I have the tendency to be different just for the sake of it.

No comments: